April 29th 2019
Quality & Research
FNAPC has been promoting the highest quality of care for our patients since 1973. Ongoing data collection on thousands of infants allows us to measure the impacts of new discoveries and medical advancements in the NICU. This leads to improving our clinical strategies and making a positive difference.
Examples of our efforts include:
- Participation in the Vermont-Oxford Network (VON) by all NICUs staffed by FNAPC to promote best practices with other NICUs throughout the US and the world. Click here to learn more about FNA collaborating with other VON members.
- Creation of a database focusing on neurodevelopmental testing of premature infants. Findings from this database have been published nationally.
- Incorporation of our clinical findings into improving our daily NICU practice related to medication use, nutrition, infection prevention and respiratory care strategies.
- Partnership with the Inova Translational Medicine Institute (ITMI) to further genomic research.
- The Pediatric and Adolescent Sleep Center is dedicated to the highest quality of patient care within the field of sleep medicine, which is why both our sleep centers are accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM). Standards for Accreditation include quality indicators. Our sleep centers monitor time to completion for our sleep studies, and inter-scorer reliability testing, during which polysomnography technologists who score sleep studies are tested monthly against the AASM gold standard.
- An ongoing project at our Pediatric and Adolescent Sleep Center is “Improving Positive Airway Pressure in Pediatric Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea”. During this project, we have improved children’s adherence to CPAP and BiPAP therapy, which requires a multifaceted approach.
- We strive to better measure quality of health care by monitoring patient satisfaction. At FNAPC, we obtain feedback from our patients and their families through a variety of channels, including formal surveys, liaison staff and informal comments. The results help us identify ways to fulfill our commitment to a better patient/family experience and quality outcomes.
- Recognition of the Inova Children’s Hospital NICU’s Neonatology Services for national quality ratings by the US News and World Report.
- Recognition of the Inova Children’s Hospital NICU by The Joint Commission® as the first in the nation to receive the GOLD SEAL OF APPROVAL for PREMATURITY.
- “Top Doctors” recognition for many of our subspecialists as identified by the “Washingtonian”, “Northern Virginia Magazine”, “Castle-Connolly”, or “Gallup”. The selection processes of each are described on their respective websites.
- Recognition by the Cystic Fibrosis Association as a “satellite center” at the Pediatric Lung and Allergy Center.
- Accreditation of our Pediatric and Adolescent Sleep Centers by the prestigious American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM).
In the Community
- FNAPC works closely with pediatricians, obstetricians, and other medical professionals in Northern Virginia and the surrounding region to deliver excellence in neonatology and pediatric specialty care.
- Close alliance with the March of Dimes to decrease rates of premature birth.
- Actively participates in the Northern Virginia Down Syndrome Association’s Annual Buddy Walk.
- Affiliated with the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine and the University of Virginia School of Medicine.
Learn about recent publications by our FNAPC professionals.